Paddle Wheeler

6/11/2010

At the end of WWII the Germans were using anything that would float as a warship. This is the Lindberg kit of a side wheeler steamer, not unlike those used during the ACW. The kit is about 1/120th scale, so part of the conversion involves making is pass for 1/72nd scale.

I blocked in the lower works, I used very thin sheet styrene. I wrapped it around the kit, and glued it down. I had to strengthen the bottom by using some plastic "angle iron" to keep the plastic in place.


Naturally, the ROBT E LEE will have to go, but first I plated over the front part. I was not too worried about it being a scruffy job, the ship will be an old and tired sailor.


I removed a lot of cargo, railings and other bits as part of the conversion. The windows were a bit small, so I raised up the small cabins to make them appear taller.



I left the rear railing in place, while it is very tall on the original, on the 1/72nd scale version it will be about waist height.




Britannia Miniatures makes this WWII German 20 mm anti-aircraft gun. I plan on using at least two of them on this ship. Even an old ship taking refugees back to Germany needed protection against Allied aircraft.


Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »